close menu
This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.

Burn Permit

Do I need a Burn Permit?

  • Yes. If you are going to burn leaves, brush, clean wood or other vegetative debris.
  • Yes. If you are going to have a campfire or small bonfires that will be on the open ground and not in a contained structure.
  • No. If you are going to have a fire in a contained burning structure or wood-burning unit.

Obtaining a Burn Permit.

Contact the Springfield Fire Department at 269-965-7795 the day you wish to burn and request a Burn Permit. The weather conditions for that day will be checked and if the Governor has issued a burning ban or if the DEQ has declared an “Air quality action day”.

Verbal permission will be given.

The Burn Permit expires at dusk the day of issuance. 

Any violation of the conditions of a burning permit shall be deemed a violation and enforcement may be taken.

Burning permit may be revoked by the Springfield Department of Public Safety should an official determines that the burning is a nuisance. (examples: excessive smoke or neighbors having trouble breathing)

What can be burned?

Clean wood – Natural wood which has not been painted, varnished or coated with a similar material; has not been pressure treated with preservative; and does not contain resins or glues as in plywood or other composite wood products.

Yard waste/debris – Waste resulting from maintenance or removal of vegetation, including but not limited to: brush, branches, leaves, flowers, shrubs, and small trees.

What cannot be burned?

Construction and demolition waste - Building waste materials, including but not limited to waste shingles, insulation, lumber, treated wood, painted wood, wiring, plastics, packaging, and rubble that results from construction, remodeling, repair, and demolition operations on house, commercial or industrial building, or other structure.

Refuse/Garbage - Waste material such as discarded food, plastic, paper, cardboard, styrofoam and other man made items.
Hazardous Waste – Material that can damage the environment and be harmful to health. Hazardous wastes include heavy metals and toxic chemicals used in products and medical wastes also the empty containers that contained the material.

Tips for a safe fire.

  • Locate the fire a minimum of 25 feet from the nearest building including buildings not on the same property and any combustible material.
  • Always have a hose very close by.
  • Keep the piles to burn small. 
  • No burning upon any street, curb, or sidewalk. 
  • Hose the fire down once it burns out. You'll want to soak it thoroughly with water to put out any embers that might still be glowing.

Alternatives to Burning.

Composting is a safe and environmentally sound method of managing leaves and other yard trimmings. 

Waste Management can provide convenient ways for residents to dispose yard waste. Visit their website for questions and to order a Yard Cart for yard waste.